Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Genetic Counseling ... now what?

If you know us at all, you know that Kris and I have had a rough year. But today was a day of hope and possibly a brighter future.

Today we met with a genetics counselor at Brody School of Medicine to talk about the Karyotype results and what that means for us. There's definitely lots to think about. And we're also waiting to hear from a geneticist in NY to make a decision about anything.

The meeting wasn't incredibly long, only about an hour, but lots of information was given and even more to come. We found out that it is possible for us to have a healthy baby. What exactly it will take is complicated. Leave it to me to make it that way. Basically, we can keep trying until we find that special healthy one to stick or we can proceed with IVF but with genetic testing. We're going to wait until we hear from NY to make any decisions.

After 2 miscarriages in 6 months, it's hard to even think about risking another one. But then again IVF is expensive even with insurance. It's a tough call. But I paged my regular gyn/ob and he said that he'll support us either way and do whatever he can along the way. My family is very supportive.

So we have some decisions to make. It won't be easy, but we'll make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment